Hiring “Salmon Advocate” Staff Attorney
19th of Feb 2018
Position Description: Staff Attorney (Salmon Advocate)
Position Summary: Advocates for the West seeks a passionate and talented lawyer to advocate for wild salmon and steelhead in Idaho and the Pacific Northwest.
We are a nonprofit, public interest environmental law firm based in Boise, Idaho and with offices in Portland, Oregon and Washington, D.C. Over the last 15 years, we have established a strong track record of success using law and science to protect public lands, fish and wildlife, and clean air and water across the American West.
The Staff Attorney will work with our Executive Director and senior attorneys to develop and prosecute legal actions aimed at preserving wild salmon and steelhead in Idaho and the Pacific Northwest. The position will entail developing close working relationships with client groups, scientists, and other lawyers, understanding the complex legal and regulatory framework surrounding management of fisheries and mainstem dams on the lower Snake and other rivers, and developing innovative legal actions aimed at protecting and restoring wild fish.
The Staff Attorney position has initial funding for two years, but we anticipate the successful applicant will lay the groundwork to help attract longer-term support. The position preferably will be based in our Boise headquarters, but could be located in our Portland office.
- Education: Law school graduate with J.D.
- Bar Membership: Must be member of or become admitted to relevant state bar.
- Prior Experience: One to five years of prior litigation experience, preferably on federal environmental laws. Judicial clerkship experience preferred.
- Knowledge: Strong knowledge of federal environmental laws and ecological issues of the interior West, particularly anadromous fisheries.
- Skills and Abilities: Excellent legal and advocacy skills, including oral and written communication. Demonstrated commitment to environmental protection. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to excel as part of a team and a diverse coalition.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary negotiable depending on experience, competitive with nonprofit public interest environmental law groups in the region. We also offer generous benefits and vacation policies.
To Apply: Submit resume, writing sample and references to email@example.com. Position open until filled, to start as soon as possible. Advocates for the West values diversity and encourages attorneys from underrepresented communities to apply.