Willamette River Salmon and Steelhead
December 18, 2020 – Advocates for the West filed our reply brief and two expert declarations in the continued remedial phase of this case. With the Army Corps of Engineers’ long history neglecting its duties under the Endangered Species Act, we argue that the Court should defer to outside fisheries experts who prioritize the needs of the fish to determine which measures will most benefit the Chinook salmon and winter steelhead.
October 16, 2020 – Advocates for the West filed our remedy proposal, opening brief, and expert declarations in the remedial phase of this case. Our proposed injunction encompasses multiple measures aimed at reducing harm to the wild spring Chinook salmon and winter steelhead from the most significant problems related to the operation of the Willamette Project— fish passage and water quality.
August 17, 2020 – Chief Judge Hernandez of the District of Oregon ruled in favor of Upper Willamette River wild spring Chinook salmon and winter steelhead, finding that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) and National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) failed to take necessary steps to ensure the survival and recovery of these iconic fish in violation of the Endangered Species Act (ESA).
December 13, 2019 – Advocates for the West filed our reply brief in this case.
Upper Willamette River wild spring Chinook salmon and winter steelhead are facing the threat of extinction due largely to dam operations in Oregon’s Willamette River basin. Advocates for the West filed an emergency injunction in federal court to compel the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (the Corps) to make immediate operational changes at four of these dams.
Advocates for the West is seeking an order requiring the Corps to take immediate measures to reduce mortality and harm to these iconic fish. Such measures include:
- Prioritizing dam operations for the benefit of the threatened fish except as needed for flood control and human health.
- Providing deeper reservoir drawdowns at Detroit, Cougar, Fall Creek, and Lookout Point dams to aid fish passage.
- Regulating outlets to discharge cooler water at Lookout Point and Detroit dams.
- Improving monitoring and coordination with state and federal agencies.
- 11-30-18 Willamette PI Filed
- Domingue Declaration
- Johnson Declaration
- Schroeder Declaration
- 8-17-20 Court Decision
- 10-16-20 Remedy Proposal
- 10-16-20 Remedy Brief
- 10-16-20 Domingue Declaration
- 10-16-20 Schroeder Declaration
- 12-18-20 Remedy Reply Brief
- 12-18-20 Domingue Declaration
- 12-18-20 Schroeder Declaration